Intertextual Connections


Green


After an exhausting weekend, I have much to be thankful for.

God was moving and definitely evident in the various churches and to the many hearts, including mine. I felt His presence really going forth before me during our performance weekend. I am, simply, encouraged.

We performed at 3 different churches, Eagle Point Covenant Fellowship, Bangsar Lutheran Church and Praise Baptist Centre respectively. All had their interesting moments I must say.

At Eagle Point, it was a series of unfortunate events for me that night. After Pharisee Boot Camp, where I had the lights right in my face and eyes, I was totally blinded after that. I had thought, I had somehow maybe caught a glimpse of God! haha. I could not see for the heavens of me, and was walking to find a major prop, the table to place for the next scene. During that scene change, I had walked on over till I passed the mark location, again, I went by 'feel' not by sight. As I used my feet to guide me, I realized quickly that my next step had let me to the steps. I panicked! Time was ticking, I was still blinded (this is probably the worse case ever, the stars didn't help. I was only seeing spots!) and I was going to myself, "I can't see, I can't see, I can't find the table", which I think verbally did come out before one of them heard me. I try to track back my steps and move closer to where I thought the table would be, and *BAM*, I found it! Quickly and swiftly as I could, I got hold of the table and started carrying it to the marked spot. As I was travelling, the table started growing out on me! I was like, what in the world is happening, I realized then, that the drawers were coming off! When were there drawers!! Oh Lord, I said, this is what I call adrenaline rush because for me, it was definitely running high. In the nick of time, I placed it and had no chance to get down for a swig of water. Instead, I just went to my Untouchable postion, and with the Pharisee cap that I still had on, I took it out and flung it out to the side. *Phew*. In times like these, the verse in Philippians says, "Forgetting what lies behind and pressing on towards.." I did just that, trying to contain myself and moved on.

But well, luck wasn't on my side that night, I had another round of surprise for myself. After Untouchables, I needed to bring the next prop, a basket for the next scene. This time, I really couldn't find the basket. I had no idea or memory where it was placed. I searched high and low, swimming around the floor nearly making out with the steps because I was knocking into everything I could possibly feel. I was speaking again, "I can't find the basket, I can't find the basket!" I had held on to some items, but I knew it wasn't it. Thank God for Adrene, who came to the rescue and helped me out. I am so thankful I didn't end up groping the audience because I was desperate for some basket contact. haha. When everything was over, I realized that one of the items that I thought was the basket and wanted to bring up to the stage was actually a plastic container that had our bags of stars, tape and measuring tap itself. It'll be extrememly funny if that gotten up and they had to improvise :)

Again, I was left panting and by the time I finished the last sketch, I was relieved and had made my way back down to the seats. I thought to myself, "ahhh, I made it, it's over.." Before I knew it, I knocked myself once again into the seats creating a *bang*. Man, it hurt and I was going, "crap crap crap, not again!" So shy man, I tell you :)

Even with everything that had happened, God still moved mightily and challenged the crowd and moved hearts. I am thankful in spite of everything, I could somehow keep a good focus. Definitely, it was God bringing me through. Thank you Lord!

Our second performance at BLC the next morning was an interesting one. Interesting stage to work with, everything was downsized compared to Eagle Point which had a stage fitting an olympic size swimming pool for length. I was glad that at BLC, we had some natural lighthing to move around too as well. But we were faced with an interesting challenge. 18 kids, and out of the 18, 15 were aged between 1-3. That could mean only one thing, the crew of destruction of focus was in our midst. An actor's nightmare indeed. But I must say, somehow, through God's grace, the team had kept their focus and delivered through and well. I think all of us probably thought, "Wow, God, just wow". I know from previous experiences, it is so easy to trigger off us to lose our concentration and focus.

I particularly enjoyed the worship and style of worship at BLC. Two songs that still ring true to my heart right now. Come home running by Chris Tomlin and Arms of love by Kutless. I downloaded Kutless (I know, I should buy originals! :P), but I still prefered the BLC version of the song, more minimalist and lighter for sound. Anyway, the lyrics for the songs really hit my heart and I took that for my reflective and pondering moments, to digest and feed on it throughout the day. It fitted the theme of runaway bride and it helps in character portrayal as well especially Love Story.

By my third performance, Praise Baptist, I was exhausted. I skipped nap time and felt the tiredness coming upon me during our setup time and warm ups. I tried to think about the serious theatre professionals who did this day in and day out and I tried to psyche myself to pushing myself further. But the flesh was weak and having negative vibes about sealing the last performance. Personally, I felt engagement of intense characters take the most out of me and I was starting to feel that if I had kept on pushing, I might just crack and breakdown. The idea is to keep that potent intensity, that verge of breaking down but holding it there, and in response get your audience to feel it so dear, that tears trickle from their own eyes. Now, that's interaction!

Through our prayers as a group, God answered and worked once again, beyond my imagination. I felt that we had a strong performance at PBC. The emotional intensity was evidently there, and it was controlled and not over bearing as well. Maybe, I am learning better now and God has increased in us for comfort levels in acting. In our scene change for Love Story, psee que had problems looking for the hat, and he too, had searched high and low for it. Well, this afternoon, I was driving and just reflecting over our funny moments and the performance itself, all these little moments does have a spiritual lesson to it. To me, sometimes in utter darkness, we're lost and we can't find the things we want, God does bring that key person into our life and guide us to the things we're looking for.

The most joyful thing is to see the change of hearts, the warm and heartfelt response of the people we minister to. The reason being, is because I feel I am being ministered to as well. I feel that I am learning something new everytime I talk to someone about it. These little notes have become an encouragement to me, a source of strength to see God move in the small and big ways.

It's good to have a friend. We're all different anyway, but probably come for the same roots, if you really think about it :)

2 Responses to “Green”

  1. # Blogger Sivin Kit

    It's great to have a glimpse from your perspective :-) please tell the team we REALLY appreciate the play and more impportantly the conversations before and after the performance!  

  2. # Blogger rizumu

    Yes will do. We too, sivin, were blessed by your fellowship and care to us. I look forward to many more lunch meet ups to just touch base, and move towards a greater friendship and knowing the Lord together :)  

Post a Comment



© 2005-2006 Intertextual Connections | Blogger Templates by GeckoandFly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.